Think about taking the VDI plunge? Don’t know where to start? Well if you were thinking about XenDesktop and wanted a Pre-implementation checklist you are in luck! Below is pretty standard cheat sheet of things to consider before and during the architecture of that VDI solution. Remember it is better to take a little time now and go over these questions and have solid answers vs. guessing as you go, food for thought.
- Server Hardware that is Virtualization ready?
- Is your BIOS up-to-date?
- To have all of your storage and networking components operational?
- Is your Active Directory set-up? Domain Account? Organizational Unit?
- Static IP Addresses for the XenDesktop Components?
- What about sufficient Storage space to hold all the related data?
- Is your License Server up and running? Do you have the XenDesktop license file available?
- DVD ISO? Or media? Don’t want to be caught without this…
- Virtualization layer up and running? Optimized? Tested?
- Have you set-up your Desktop Delivery Layer? Web Interface? Controllers?
- OS Delivery Layer? Machine Creation Services? Provisioning Srvices?
- Lets not forget the Application Delivery Layer? Where is it located; locally, hosted, streamed (app-v, XenApp)?
- User Layer, Local, roaming, mandatory?
- Are Policies defined in AD or the local database?
- Is the database SQL express or SQL server?
- What about High Availability options?
- Will you be implementing Remote Access?
- What are your Desktop groups? Win 7 XP? Vista?
- RAM? How many vCPU”S?
I know its a lot I know, but its fun right?
Leave a Reply